Grease guns are essential for every person who has a tool, has a vehicle, run machinery and so on.
This small yet so significant tool that injects life into your old, worn out tractors and automobiles, literally!
But we know that finding a “good” gun isn’t an easy job. So, we’ve done a long research and then created this top 7 best grease gun review.
- Best Grease Gun Review
- 1. DEWALT DCGG571M1 Grease Gun [Editor’s Choice]
- 2. Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun [Best Budget]
- 3. Lumax LX-1152 Pistol Grease Gun [Best Cheap]
- 4. Lincoln Lubrication 1162 Air Operated Grease Gun
- 5. Lincoln Lubrication 1844 Cordless Grease Gun
- 6. Milwaukee Electric Tool 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun Kit
- 7. G. Gun Grease Gun
- Accessories For a Grease Gun
- Grease Gun Buying Guide & Tips
Best Grease Gun Review
1. DEWALT DCGG571M1 Grease Gun [Editor’s Choice]
- Powerful motor delivers 10,000 max psi.
- 42-inch extra-long and flexible hose.
- It can run 5 ounces per minute.
- Get Up to 16 cartridges per charge.
- Innovative pump filter screen.
- Bright LED light.
The DCGG571M1 Grease Gun is a battery-powered grease gun. It is an easy single-handed kind of tool. It’s one of the easiest and most comfortable types of grease guns to use.
Now looking into the construction of the DCGG571M1, this tool weighs 13 pounds and measures 23.5 x 4.3 x 13.4 inches in dimensions. Yes, we know what you’re thinking. It obviously isn’t the most lightweight or compact grease gun.
But it is darn powerful, and we are more than okay with that. You won’t be traveling the world with a grease gun, anyway. So, a little much weight isn’t a big problem.
Apart from that, it has a nice contour grip. It has a 42 inch long, flexible hose pipe to get into those tough spots.
Speaking of difficult spots, one very neat feature about this grease gun is that it comes with an LED light on its head, which makes using it in low-light places even easier!
As for performance, this gun offers a maximum Psi of up to 10,000! It offers up to 16 cartridges from a single charge, it’s cartridge capacity is 14 oz.
And for flow rate, it can dispense about 5 ounces per minute. This gun also offers variable speeds for maximum control.
Now for the best part, this grease gun runs of the Dewalt 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery and charger(battery included in the package). It comes in a neat, organized storage box of its own. It is also guaranteed by the manufacturer!
So much in one, right?
2. Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun [Best Budget]
- Develops up to 7500 psi.
- Included both 18-inch whip hose with coupler and 6-inch rigid tube.
- Capacity (Oz): 16 Ounce.
- Rugged cast pump head for strength and durability.
- Precision fit and hardened plunger make sure its long life.
- Comes with a rigid pipe and Jam-proof toggle machine.
- The accessible check valve allows easy cleaning.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly and effective grease gun, then the Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun is for you.
The Lincoln Lubrication 1134 grease gun is a two-hand operation tool. This one features an 11-inch long flexible whip hose. This means that you can lubricate and dispense grease into much tighter and hard to reach spots on your vehicles and machinery.
In terms of construction, we could say that LL 1134 is more or less durable. We say so because its pump head is made of durable, strong cast. And it uses a snug fit and reinforced plunger, which prevents lubricant bypass and resists scoring to maximize its life.
As for comfort, this utilizes an anti-jam toggle mechanism. That takes care of the most common issues which plunger guns: binding and accidental bending of the plunger. The extra-heavy follower spring ensures that the offers proper priming and effortless, uninterrupted pumping.
One thing we really liked and know that you will too, is how stinking easy it is to clean the LL 1134 because of its check valve. Absolutely no dismantling necessary!
Apart from that, this is pretty portable too. It weighs just a pound and measures 7.7 x 16.1 x 2.8 inches in dimensions. In terms of pressure, this grease gun can deliver somewhere along the lines of 7500 PSI, which is pretty cool for its price range and size.
3. Lumax LX-1152 Pistol Grease Gun [Best Cheap][suhttp://amzn.to/2xp8zO_row]
- Super Affordable.
- Heavy 18 gauge steel barrel makes it durable.
- Develops up to 7,000 PSI (480 bar).
- Air Bleeder Valve prevents irregular grease discharge.
- Oil resistant, deluxe, Contoured Grip for Comfort and Firm Grip.
- 3-way loading by using cartridge, suction or grease pump.
Now we want to cater to people who are looking for grease guns that are affordable, minimal, basic, and yet, very effective.
On that note, our next pick is the Lumax LX-1152 Black Heavy Duty Deluxe Pistol Grease Gun.
The LX-1152 Pistol Grease Gun is very traditional two-hand operated grease gun. This means you’ve to hold the lever by one hand and the hose by the other.
Having said that, this tiny, deluxe of a grease gun can get into some very tight spots in your vehicles, machines, etc. All due to its flexible hose which is about 18 inches in length! This gun weighs a mere 2.9 pounds and measures 16 x 6 x 2.7 inches in dimensions.
As for comfort, the LX-1152 Pistol Grease Gun features a contoured grip and handle that can echo your grip. It also has a chrome plated finish on it which deters early corrosion from grease and oil.
One thing we must give credit to the gun is its air bleeder valve. This makes sure there aren’t any air bubbles inside the grease compartment of the gun, which almost always leads to splatters and squirts going everywhere when you put pressure on the handle.
Despite being the most affordable and basic grease gun on our list, offers a good PSI(pressure per square inch) of 7000 which is equivalent to 480 bar.
As for discharge, this gun will go on to release about 4 ounces from each of its 100 strokes. That’s more than good enough for regular greasing and proper lubrication of your machines, vehicles and so on.
Our favorite feature on the LX-1152 is its versatile and multi-loading system. You can use the traditional cartridges or suction or you can utilize the bulk filling system. The LX-1152 Pistol Grease Gun is one of the most value and feature-packed grease guns at a lower-end price tag.
4. Lincoln Lubrication 1162 Air Operated Grease Gun
- Develops Up to 6000 PSI.
- Air Pressure Range: 40-150 psi.
- Fully automatic, variable-speed trigger with continuous operation.
- Intuitive design reduces Air Bleeding.
- Attaches to 30-inch hose.
Our next is for those of you who are out of your manual phase. The Lincoln Lubrication 1162 Grease Gun is one of the best air operated/pneumatic grease gun.
This grease gun is a leap away and apart from our previous picks in the way that it is operated using air. And that feature alone means that it is heaps easier and more comfortable to use, thanks to its mechanism.
The LL 1162 Grease Gun weighs around 5.4 pounds and measures 8.2 x 2.8 x 18 inches in dimensions. Definitely not your lightweight gun, but we don’t mind since it is offering us industrial-grade performance and power.
Let’s check the construction. Much like our previous picks, the LL 1162 also features a flexible hose which allows you to attach the nozzle into the tiniest places.
Oh, it’s furthermore 30 inches long. The handle of the gun contours your natural grip and is very easy to hold and use.
Apart from these, it can deliver a maximum PSI of 6000 which isn’t bad for an already powerful pneumatic grease gun. The best part about the LL 1162 is that it offers variable grease dispensing speeds and that can give you more control over the grease flow!
And last but not least, the 1162 Air Operated Grease Gun comes with 1-year manufacturers warranty on material and workmanship. You gotta love that!
5. Lincoln Lubrication 1844 Cordless Grease Gun
- 18-volt battery delivers up to 10 grease cartridges.
- 2-speed transmission provides high-pressure output.
- Dual overload protection.
- High-strength composite body and casting.
- Comes with two batteries.
LL brand is truly a grease gun master and we can’t help but bring in into our list over and over again. With that said, we’re introducing Lincoln Lubrication 1844 Cordless Grease Gun.
This is definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum. The is a battery-powered grease gun, much like the Dewalt DCGG571M1. You can use an 18-volt battery to operate this thing and it, of course, comes with a charger and a storage box as well.
The nice thing is that these types of guns are majorly single-handed operating tools. You just need to attach the nozzle and then pump away. Speaking of which, the whip is about 30 inches long, so you can easily get into hard to reach spots.
It furthermore has a very generous at runtime and capacity as well. You can get 10 cartridges from each run. Not bad at all.
As for construction, the LL 1844 grease gun has a very durable composite body and casting in conjunction with a high torque motor for the most demanding of works. It weighs a little above 17 pounds and measures 23.1 x 14.5 x 4.2 inches in dimensions.
Its 2-speed transmission provides a high-volume or high-pressure output with dual overload protection. One thing we really like about this battery-powered grease gun is that it comes with 2 batteries included in the box.
Each of the battery furthermore lasts 30% longer. If you add that with a maximum PSI of 7500, you’ll get a powerful & long-lasting grease gun that’s ready for every challenge you throw at it.
Last but not least, the Lincoln Lubrication 1844 Cordless Grease Gun offers a repair-only warranty which is pretty nice too.
6. Milwaukee Electric Tool 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun Kit
- 10,000 PSI Max Operating Pressure.
- 48-inch flexible hose.
- Max Flow-Rate Of Up To 10 OZ Per Minute.
Our next pick is the Milwaukee Electric Tool 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun Kit.
The 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun Kit is a complete set and solution of your greasing needs.
First of all, it is battery powered(18 volts). This package includes a charger and a storage box. Something we have seen previously with a couple of our grease guns.
However, what’s different with the Milwaukee 2646-21CT M18 is that it comes with a shoulder strap! Now, this accessory is a lifesaver since you can baby up the gun and use it for comfortably. And considering the size and weight of it: 24.5 x 4.9 x 13 inches and 17.2 pounds, the strap is much needed, really.
Now, let’s talk about construction. The 2646-21CT M18 Grease Gun is properly made and is very durable.
Like all of our grease guns so far, it too has a flexible hose which reaches up to 48 inches. And for the discharge rate, that’s 10 ounces every minute!
As for performance, this grease gun offers a max PSI of 10,000 which we think is amazing. Definitely a powerful tool, no doubt there. It furthermore features air bleeding valve and locks on/off trigger.
7. G. Gun Grease Gun
- Builds up to 10,000 psi.
- Self-lubricating pump design.
- Patented Pressure Release Valve.
- High pressure rated 10ft grease hose standard.
And we saved our most monster, most powerful and herculean grease for last. On that note, our final pick for the best Grease Gun is the G. Gun grease gun!
The G. Gun is definitely not a light-purpose, light-duty kind of tool. This thing is the most commercial and industrial grade that mainstream consumer grease guns can get. To begin with, it has a 10 ft long hose whip!
Let that sink in. This gun comes with the LockNLube grease gun coupler. Other than that, it can accommodate up to 20 standard grease tube cartridges. Clearly, this thing is made of the larger, bigger stuff.
Next, it has a patented pressure release valve which is excellent to remove any pressure buildup inside the hose. This means less grease splatter and less mess.
It weighs 20.9 pounds and measures 18.3 x 17.7 x 10.2 inches. And if you are worried thinking how this is going last, well, being a constant champion and go to for 25 years in the mines of Africa should be a credible line in the resume.
However, what we love most about this grease gun is that it isn’t battery powered or pneumatic. It is manual. Yep, the best manual grease gun.
Wait! Before you frown, you should know that you can operate this using your foot! No dead batteries, no hand labor. Just kick the pedal and it’s already doing its job at a maximum of 10,000 PSI!
Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely!
Grease guns come in many forms and shapes. And therefore being to identify the one you need is as per your purpose is crucial.
Our assorted range of high-quality grease guns spans everything from basic to the absolute beast, manual to pneumatic, and minimal to fancy. We listed it all! If you are looking for a grease gun for your purpose and within your budget, we got it right here.
So, which one is going to be your pick as the best grease gun?
Accessories For a Grease Gun
Now that you own a grease gun, let’s take a look at some accessories that you’ll need to use with your grease gun.
Valvoline VV985 SynPower Synthetic Grease
Your grease gun would be useless if you don’t have grease to apply. You will need to buy the best quality grease to get the best results. The Valvoline VV985 is one of the best greases on the market.
- Designed to provide low and high-temperature protection( 60 F t0 425 F).
- Formulated to work all U.S., European & Japanese Vehicles.
- Fortified for extreme pressure & provides greater durability.
- Lithium complex grease.
- Reinforced for greater film strength.
- Designed to resist heavy loads.
Valvoline’s Synthetic Grease is made to provide superior high and low-temperature protection. It is an excellent heavy-duty and multi-purpose grease for automotive and industrial use.
This grease is formulated Using Lithium complex, which is thickened in a synthetic base fluid, moly and other best-quality additives to provide superior protection from extreme temperatures and heavy loads. This grease will be used to ensure that all the components are running smoothly without any friction.
You will need a grease gun hose assembly for your grease gun to work as required. The DEWALT DCGG5703 is one of the best grease gun hose that you can have. It is designed to work well with as a replacement hose.
- 42-inch hose length; ideal hose replacement for the grease gun.
- Designed for hard to reach fittings.
- Can be used in pressures up to 10,000 psi.
- Flexible and can be used in different situations.
The DEWALT DCGG5703 is quite flexible and comes with reinforced ends. It features a length of 42″ that is perfect for reaching hard to access fittings. When you’re pushing into the fittings, this hose will give you a good grip.
When you want to apply lubricants to tight areas that have fittings, this hose will be quite useful. This industrial tool makes the use of your gun pretty much easier and convenient.
LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler [Best Grease Gun Coupler]
This coupler is designed in such a way that it will ease the frustration of greasing machine. That’s what you get with the coupler. It comes with a sliding sleeve locking mechanism, which is patented, will lock on and creates a leak-proof seal.
It is a great solution to manage any wastage of lube. When you have this coupler, you can forget the struggle with the couplers that are stuck.
- Unique and patented lock design.
- Comes with 400 steel jaws that can be used in max 10,000 PSI pressure.
- The safety lock frees both hands to be able to pump the grease.
- Fits with any standard grease gun- 1/8” NPT fitting.
- Ends the waste, mess and greasing frustration.
One of the best advantages of this coupler is that when it is locked on, both hands are free to pump the grease, which will be much easier. It enables you to lubricate your machines exactly where they need to be lubricated.
When you have this coupler, there will be no wastage or messes created as the grease goes in, not on the machine.
Lumax LX-1416 Silver 18G 1-1/2″ Long Stainless Steel Grease Injector Needle
This is a grease injector needle, designed for hand-operated grease guns only. It is ideal for lubricating in very tight and hard to reach places like universal joints and sealed bearings.
- Ideal for greasing hard to reach places.
- A protective plastic cover included to further enhance its durability.
- Designed for hand operated grease guns.
- Made of stainless steel; durable and rust-free.
- Equipped with the standard grease fitting.
This model is 18 gauge x 1-1/2 inches long, made of stainless steel and equipped with a standard grease fitting. It comes with a protective plastic cover, which will be very useful when working in hard-to-reach places.
Lincoln Lubrication G218 18″ Hose Extension for Hand Operated Grease Gun
- Designed for hand operated grease guns only.
- Has a working pressure of 3500 PSI and 14,000 burst pressure.
- Both ends have 1 /8″ NPT (M) threads.
- Makes it easy to grease hard to reach areas
Grease Gun Buying Guide & Tips
Types of Grease Guns
There are five types of grease guns available in the market. They are Pump type grease gun, Cordless grease gun, Lever grease gun, Air operated grease gun and Pistol Grip grease gun.
They can be powered in three ways: by hand, by air or by electricity. Different companies manufacture a variety of grease guns. Their appearance and functions separate them. Each type has its pros and cons. This grease gun review will able you to select the right gun for you.
This is also known as a hand pump, manual or traditional. They provide versatile powerful and versatile results. But it’s not the easiest type to use.
It is a little bit hard to operate because they can require a larger hand to operate with thicker lubrication product and a lot of hand strength. These guns work by generating a pressure buildup that projects the grease out of the gun.
This is the most common and perhaps the best grease gun type of all. It is ideal for various types of projects because of its versatility. This can supply about 1.28 g of grease per bomb. This widely used grease gun requires two hands to operate and is very easy to use. It is the second of the oldest grease gun types. you just need to pull the lever to create pressure to dispense the necessary greases from the gun.
The cordless grease gun is a new addition to the market. You can avoid corded grease gun by using it. You don’t have to worry about cords or hoses. So, your freedom movement won’t be hampered by cord or cables. This battery powered gun is portable and gives you greater freedom. They are the most convenient type available on the market. Whenever your battery runs out of charge, you can replace or recharge the battery.
4. Air Operated
You need a powerful grease gun for commercial use. Air operated grease gun are very powerful. They have been around for a long time. They are ideal for complex and larger projects that require substantial lubrication work. An air compressor remains connected to air operated grease gun. It’s very expensive and can be very dangerous if it’s not carefully used.
5. Pistol Grip
The pistol grip grease gun is perfect for the tight and awkward situation where you need a tiny shot of lubrication here and there. This gun can be handled like a gun. They are smaller and offer a lighter weight. It requires one-handed operation. Quality levels of pistol grip grease gun vary from one manufacturer to another.
What to Look for Before Buying a Grease Gun
There are so many benefits of the grease gun. They reduce wastage, improve the performance and durability of the machines. To pick the best grease gun for the money, you have to consider every little aspect while purchasing a grease gun. The necessary characteristics you should consider to assist your deal are:
1. Loading Method: The loading method of grease gun lubricant depends on your preferences. Grease gun can be loaded in some different ways such as: By suction fill, cartridge or bulk. If it takes too long time to load the chamber, then you are going to be bord using the grease gun. It doesn’t matter what types of gun you have but it’s necessary to avoid using oil as a lubricant and use grease.
2. Power Source: There are different types of grease gun available. Grease gun can be powered by using the hand, by air, by battery or electrically.
The hand-powered grease gun is currently the most popular type. They are economical ones. They can supply around 1.28 grams of grease per bomb.
Air operated grease guns use the compressed air. If you’re working with heavy equipment and large machines, then air-powered grease gun will be best for you. Air operated grease gun are rated up to 6000 psi.
Battery Powered grease guns perform similarly as the air operated gun. They feature low voltage. The greatest benefit of battery-powered grease guns is that they are cordless. This types of grease gun also minimize operator tiredness. Battery powered guns can attain pressures from 6,000 psi to 10,000 psi. But Psi depends on the model of the gun. We mentioned some great battery powered grease gun in this battery-powered grease gun review.
Corded or Ac electric grease gun delivers a consistent flow of grease that usually rated up to 5000 psi. They are mostly used as an alternative to air-powered tools.
3. Features: It’s very important to choose the one with the right features that you will need. You have to find out what features will suit you or what you want. You have to look at the delivery pressure, type of work you will be doing and how much grease will you need to use. And finally, the loading method and the long hose need to be considered. There are some important considerations to look at when you’re buying a grease gun. These will determine if you need a basic grease gun or a grease gun with added features.
4. How Convenient: Is the gun convenient to use? How exact is it when you pull the trigger? Just How much easy is the gun to use? What loading method it requires to load grease? To get the answers, you have to look at the manufacturer’s reputation and customer reviews.
5. Amount of Lubrication: When you are looking for the best grease gun to suit your needs and requirement, it’s essential to consider the amount of lubrication you will need. Because it will help you to determine the exact size you should opt. A larger gun can do more work than a smaller gun. That’s why it’s very important to consider the amount of lubrication that you will need.
6. Accuracy: This is very important if you are working with complex machinery/vehicles parts. Choosing a gun that is less accurate will make your work harder. An accurate gun will make your day to day work easier.
7. Ease of Use: Nobody wants an equipment/machine that is filled with complications. Purchase one that is very easy to use for you. Though Grease is not complicated tools, if you have no knowledge about how lubrication works, then the simplest solution will be best. Ensure that the gun is easy to handle especially if you’re working for a long time.
8. Grease Meter: You may find it difficult to understand the exact quantity while you are greasing a bearing. Choose a grease gun that comes with a grease meter. Many grease guns have the displays. It is filled with a bunch of measurement units. This will help you to follow the instructions while you are applying grease on the machinery/vehicles.
9. Technical specifications: You should also understand the various technical features offered by the brand or model. It will help you to easily determine the right one you needs. In this matter, you have to look at the strokes per ounce and the maximum pressure that can be generated with your choice of a grease gun.
10. Battery Life: If you are going to buy a cordless grease gun, you have to consider the battery life. How much time does the battery take to charge fully, How long time the battery holds the charge, how much are extra batteries. After replacing the new one, how long it will last. These are the battery-related things you should consider while buying a cordless grease gun.
11. Built-in Extras: Small things like a multi-speed operating system, LED lighting, easy switch-out multiple chambers can make your job easier. But it will add extra cost and complexity to the gun.
12.Handle: A handle is not a minor issue though it seems. It’s very important to choose a gun with a comfortable handle. It’s better to test the handle before you buy it and make sure that it offers an easy grip.
13. Grease Fittings: Grease fittings are also called Allemite fittings, zerk fittings or grease nipples. they are usually four types. The standard hydraulic grease fittings meant for standard operation. The flush type is right for using in limited spaced materials. The button-head fitting is best for applying the wide amount of grease between connectors. The pressure-relief vent fitting saves the seals from getting ruined.
14. Adapters: The standard hydraulic coupler is perfect for customer usage. The 90-degree adapter is for the restricted sections where normal adapter reaches hardly. The target area of the needle end adapter is slender spots. The three jaw swivel coupler works favorably in various situations.
15. Tube/Hose: You can choose a flexible hose or a fixed tube depending on the grease fitting type of the machinery that you are going to apply the grease gun for. The fixed tube requires both hands for executing grease pumping. A flexible hose is perfect for handling hard to access areas.
16. Other Specifications: While purchasing grease gun, you may have to consider some other specifications such as the handling need to be uncomplicated so that it can avoid hassle in long time use. Choose the right seized grease gun.
17. User’s Review: It’s best to get the user’s review and a quick survey on their user experiences before you buy a grease gun. By this way, you will get a better idea of the product without using it. Newer product usually gets fewer reviews. but it doesn’t mean that the product quality is bad.
18. Warranty & Support: Best products always give you great working experiences. The product that has no warranty or less warranty is less attractive. You might check the support and warranty and compare the different grease guns and its coverage. Take time to compare when you are making your final purchase decision.
19. Price: This is the major concern of most people. But you have to consider some other factors. You have to consider the price for the best quality products. You also avoid those products that are very cheap. make sure that you’re not paying more than you should. You have to select your product that is under your required budget and have the required quality.
While you’re looking for a grease gun, you’ll notice that there are a lot of manufacturers of grease gun. But who makes the best grease gun? We’ve listed the top 5 brands that make high-quality guns. Pick one from one of that.
How to Use a Grease Gun
The use of grease guns is common but these tools should have care and really should be used in accordance with the grease gun manufacturer’s safety instructions to avoid injury. You must know how to use a grease gun properly.
Step 1- Remove the head of the grease gun from its barrel.
Step 2- Pull back the rod handle.
Step 3- Lock the guns rod handle.
Step 4- Open the cartridge.
Step 5- Insert the new grease cartridge into the barrel of the grease gun.
Step 6- Note the pull tag on the end of the new cartridge.
Step 7- Make sure that cartridge is pushed in enough. So that the rim can be in contact with the rim of the grease gun.
Step 8- Reinstall the grease gun barrel to the end cap but keep it loose.
Step 9- Release the gun rod handle by turning it out from the retaining groove in the end cap.
Step 10- Depress the rod handle, this will force grease into the head of the grease gun and force the air out.
Step 11- Pump some grease through the nozzle and wipe it clean before attaching the nozzle to the grease gun.
Step 12- Tighten the cap and push down on the air bleeder to bring out the rest of the air.
Step 13- Put the gun coupler at the end of the extension hose on the area to be greased.
Step 14- Now pump the lever handle enough times for grease to start flowing.
Step 1- Take away the head from the barrel as above.
Step 2- Load enough amount of grease in the head and back strongly.
Step 3- Put the barrel of the gun over the tub of grease.
Step 4- Insert the gun barrel down about 2 inches into the grease.
Step 5- Push down on the gun barrel while pulling up the rod handle.
Step 6- Lock the rod handle when it is completely extended.
Step 7- Move the gun barrel from side to side to slice off the extra grease when the barrel is full.
Step 8- Clean off all the parts with stiff paper, paper towel or rag.
Step 9- Attach the grease gun barrel to the remaining unit.
Step 10- Unlock the gun rod handle.
Step 11- Pump the gun handle to begin the flow of grease.
Step 12- Put the gun coupler at the end of the extension hose straightly on the area to be greased.
Caution!! You must ensure your personal safety and workshop safety before using a gun.
How to Load a Grease Gun
- The cylinder needs to be unfastened once so that the plunger can be pulled back easily.
- Pull the plunger back one time entirely and make sure that it is locked in its place.
- Unscrew the top of the grease gun and discard the old grease cylinder by taking out manually with your hands in order to place the new one.
- Take the new cylinder and remove the cap on top of it. Insert it from the open end of the cylinder.
- The metal cover should be removed by lifting it up and peel it away.
- Fasten the screw assembly back on the cylinder and fasten it tightly so that the screw does not fall off.
- After pressing the middle tab of the plunger, push it back into the cylinder.
- In the final step, fasten the cylinder very tightly so that the new cylinder does not fall off.
You can watch this video to be more clear:
Many people who need to use the tool have faced the problem when it comes to the process of how to load a grease gun. The process itself is not very difficult to learn. But often it is seen that people make a lot of mess when trying to operate one.
The process of loading a grease gun for both cartridge loader and a reservoir style is different. It is highly recommended that an operator strictly abides by the instruction manual. The manual comes with the device to avoid any unnecessary injuries while using it.
Customers who have just purchased the grease gun often have the tendency to mishandle it at first touch and pop out all the parts of the gun mistakenly if there is no instruction manual with the gun.
A cheaper model which has no brand value often have the problem of not coming with any instruction manuals. People are also confused about which end of the tube of the grease they should open, i.e the front or the back end.
The instruction manual which comes with it can sometimes be complicated for a person who wants to know the process of how to refill a grease gun. The process of how to refill the cartridge is quite similar.
Cartridge models like traveler premium do not last long so brands like Valvoline is recommended instead. In such cases, it is often a good idea to watch YouTube videos to learn the process without too much hassle. The operator will require a pair of gloves which are disposable. And a new grease tube which will depend on the type of grease which will be used.
How to Load a Grease Gun Cartridge
The process of how to load a gun cartridge is not as difficult as it might seem to be. If the plunger is tighter than usual then the process mentioned above need to be modified a bit. The plunger needs to be twisted off if it cannot be pulled due to its tightness. There is no difference if the mechanism has a lever or not.
Once it is twisted off, the plunger can be pulled back easily and the cartridge is taken out to be refilled. Special care should be taken during this process. So that no grease comes off and hit the operator in the face. The rest of the process is very similar to the instructions mentioned.
Grease guns are very vulnerable to contaminants from the air. Metal silvers which are often flying around in the air can end up inside the grease cartridge and cause damage to the equipment where the grease is being used.
Also, refilling an old grease cartridge with more grease is not recommended to prevent damage to the gun. Loading it in bulk can be done if it is used a lot in a short time. In such cases, the grease needs to be heated a bit but not too much.
For What People Use Grease Guns?
Grease gun has been used since 1900 and added to modern technology which makes lubrication easy. They are now an ideal tool for every workshop or garage.
Now, we are living in a mechanical era. And to be honest, the uses of grease guns cannot be uncounted. Every household needs to use it at least one time. A good quality grease gun will provide you a lot of benefits such as the following.
1. Greater accuracy and speed: No repairman wants to waste time on greasing the running components. Grease gun assured you greater accuracy and speed. If you don’t want to waste your time and you have got a lot of work to do, then it is here to be your best friend. It will enable you to work with greater accuracy and speed.
2. Prevent wastage: Grease gun gives you the control over how much oil is produced when you release the trigger. Thus, it prevents wastage.
3. Improves Machine Longevity: It saves your money and time by prolonging the life of a machine.
4. Enhances Saturation: It’s a must to get grease where is needed. It will expand the vehicles and components life. Grease gun ensures the best possible result. Because you will be able to spray the substance exactly where it needs to go with a grease gun. It helps to get the right amount of grease into the required are.
5. Easily operated: Though there are various types of grease gun, It is quite easy to operate a grease gun. Anyone with simple basics can work with it. Some grease guns have the ability to reach the place/section where it’s hard for anyone to reach.
6. Saves Money: It was a very hard job for anyone to do lubrication in vehicles or machinery before the grease gun was invented. But after the grease gun was invented, it has become very easy. Now, anyone with a grease gun can easily perform lubrication in machinery or vehicles. It also gives the components a long life.
5 Best Uses of a Grease Gun
The grease gun is one of the most important tools used for lubrication. There are a lot of ways it can be used for lubrication.
- Lawn Mowers: It is used to lubricant the spindles of lawn mowers. If you want to lubricate the spindle, the belt guard has to be removed. Grease fittings are situated at the back of the mower’s spindle. So, it can be hard to grease by hand. the spindle can be easily lubricated by applying the fitting attached to a grease gun. Unless you look under the mower, The axle pivot grease fitting in front is in a location that is very hard to locate. Grease gun needs to be used in this situation. The another hard to reach the area is the fitting is at the mowers pedal’s bottom. This hard to reach area requires a grease gun to be lubricated.
2. Automobiles: Grease gun is used for heavy and light duty trucks and sports utility vehicles to lubricate their grease fittings. Bigger commercial trucks have their grease fittings located on Driveshafts and U joints. Greasing and oiling are very important routines which need to be done in every automobile from time to time. Greasing kets the machine runs smoothly and extends the lifetime of the machine.
3. Chain Saws and Conveyors: You can grease a Chainsaw’s bar nose bearings most efficiently by using a grease gun. The chainsaws bar nose contains a sprocket that helps the chain rotate with less friction. There is a chainsaw grease gun that is designed with a piercing tip, which applies grease when the pump is pressed. The grease usually lasts about as long as the fuel. When you want to lubricate the saw, the Grease gun is a good tool to use.
4. Machine And Factory Equipment: Factory machine components and equipment can be easily lubricated by the help of a grease gun. You have to be trained first for using it. Otherwise, the chances of lubrication will increase due to high pressure. It may lead to many problems. Most of the factory machine grease fittings have a ball check to prevent dirt and debris from building up. By the help of a grease gun, you can reach even those fittings that are out of reach manually. Some factory machine fittings shut off to prevents parts from being over greased.
5. Agriculture: Farming is the toughest work in agriculture. The farmers and their loving tractor co this toughest work. There are a lot of moving parts on tractors and implements and grease fittings to allow lubricating those moving parts. The cordless grease gun is a simple formula for most of those tractor component greasing. You can keep them by lubricating and enable them to last longer in just 15 minutes easy efforts. This type of grease gun amazingly minimizes operator fatigue and labor. They are rated depending on the model(6000 to 10,000 psi).
Grease Gun Care and Maintenance
Proper caring and maintenance will extend grease guns life than the one which is not properly maintained. We’ve mentioned some grease gun care and maintenance tips here for you. This tips will help you to protect your grease gun and make the best use of it. Please feel free to share if you have anything to say about maintenance and caring in the comment section below.
1. Keep the Grease Gun Clean: After every use, keep the gun clean. If your grease gun is not maintained properly, it can inject dirt, debris, and other rubbish into the bearing you are trying to lubricate with the grease gun. Before or after use, always keep your gun clean. Use a clean dry cloth to wipe the grease gun after each use to prevent the gun slip from your hands. Because any excess grease can make the gun slip it is not wiped. When you are not using the gun, cover it with a clean cloth. This cover will prevent any debris or dust. You can use a cap, rubber band or a plastic wrap to protect the coupler. This cleaning process will prevent the grease gun from collecting contaminants.
2. Storing Grease Gun: Keep your gun in a cool, dry place. Because it is not heat resistant. Store the coupler in a clean and covered area. When you are storing your grease gun, never keep it pressurized. Depressurized the grease gun before putting it away.
3. Moving Parts: Regularly check the moving parts of your grease gun and have a thorough knowledge. This process will help you to detect any issues that come up with it. Inspect the guns trigger and the barrel to ensure that they are functional and clean.
4. Type of grease: Grease has various types. Different types of gun need different types of grease. You have to indicate which type of grease your gun should be filled with. Mark your gun clearly to indicate it. Using other sorts can damage it. Because this will interfere with the internal workings and calibration of the gun.
5. Grease Contamination: Your grease guns flexible extensions and couplers may collect dirt after a period of time. When you are greasing, the dust and grit contamination can then be transferred there. You can replace your flexible extensions and coupler periodically. Replacing will helps prevent this problem and is a good practice.
6. Calibration: If you want to make sure the gun registers how much grease can dispense for each pump, then the grease gun should be recalibrated often.
7. Grease Flow: Always check grease flow before using it. Test the nozzle hole of the grease gun for clear flow. Make sure that the grease is flowing correctly. You can squirt a little grease onto a clean rag just to ensure that.
8. Maintenance: Every grease gun have some recommended instructions given by the manufacturers. Always maintain your grease gun according to manufacturers instruction. They will give tips and hints about the quality care and maintenance of grease gun. Unable to maintain the directions can cause early contamination or breakage.
9. Piston Pumps: The piston pumps require care to maintain their pressure in some grease guns. The same things apply to air operated grease guns. Treat all your grease gun as directed by their manufacturers. For air operated type, the air force needs to be maintained properly and channeled correctly.
10. Hand Powered: Hand powered grease guns work like a trigger of a water gun. Because they are worked under back pressure. Hand powered grease guns also need proper care and maintenance. Keep the gun contaminant free and clean. Cover the gun for protection and store in a cool place.
11. Safety First: 100 PSI pressures are able to break the screen and causing a high-pressure injection injury. Grease guns are capable of exerting up to 10,000 PSI that is very high. That’s why, last year, grease guns accounted for 57% of all high-pressure injection injuries. When you are operating a gun, keep your body parts and hands away from the hoses, coupler, and threaded areas. If a hose leaks, never try to stop with your hand. If you accidentally received a high-pressure injection injury, get immediate medical help though they are often painless at first.
12. Some Other Maintenance Tips: Standardize on fitting type where possible.
Wipe down the fitting and the pressure line to prevent contamination when you are repacking grease guns from a pressure line.
- Avoid grease gun from laying on dirty surfaces.
- Exercise caution to avoid danger and ensure safety.
- Learn the proper use of grease gun and ensure proper volume delivery.
13. Operating Methods of Grease gun
Operating a gun can be easy when you have taken it aside and loaded with grease. You must know the using method of grease gun to use a gun properly. I have written a complete guide on how to use/Operate a grease gun. You can read it here.
14. Loading Methods of Grease Gun
The process of loading a gun is not very difficult. Firstly, you have to unscrew the barrel where the grease is to be loaded from the trigger, handle or injector part of the unit. Then position the barrel’s opening in line with the mouth of the grease tub. use the suction principle to pull up the grease into the grease guns barrel bt alternatively pushing down the barrel with the plunger and pulling up the plunger into the barrel. Once the grease filled the barrel, Attach the barrel to the unit after cleaning the barrel end.
15. Applying Grease
You have to connect the grease nipple by clamping it in a place with the jaw like a portion of the grease gun. To create pressure, you should use the hand crank. Pressure has been built when you feel sufficient. Then pull the trigger and direct the nipple to the lubricating area. Finally, the lubricant will pour out from the opening in the nipple.
The alternative way of applying grease is to apply pressure at the barrel end. and it will push the piston down and force the lubricant through the nipple. For applying grease, a pneumatic gun is easier comparatively. This type of gun uses compressed air and hoses to force the grease more steadily. This is used by professionals in garage or workshops.
How to Operate a Grease Gun Safely
You need to lubricate your equipment to keep them in peak condition. Operating a gun is not a complicated task. But you have to use these tools with proper respect. You should have to follow manufacturers safety guidelines to avoid injury. This point is about how to operate a grease gun safely. Though grease gun has four types, there is some general rule that is applicable to all. These rules are proper training, work area safety, personal safety, proper tool care and use.
Proper Tool Use & Care: Firstly, I am starting with the battery-operated grease gun. They have some guidelines of their own. Before inserting the battery pack, the power switch should be in the off position. You should have to disconnect your battery pack from the grease gun before unscrewing the grease cylinder from the gun or changing accessories. Don’t try to expose the battery pack to water or open it.
When you’re not using your gun, carefully keep the battery pack away from metal objects such as nails, screws, coins, paper clips or other small things that can make a connection from one terminal to another terminal. The liquid may escape from the battery and should be avoided under abusive situations. Quickly flash with water, if contact with the colors of the liquid. But If accidentally the liquid contacts your eyes, then quickly seek medical attention.
Use a charger specified by the manufacturer to charge your grease gun battery. You should not operate the charger with a damaged plug or cord, or if it has been dropped or received a sharp blow. Don’t use any electrical/corded grease gun or charge batteries in a damp place.
It doesn’t matter what type of gun you’re using. You should have to consider the high pressure developed by the tools. There are different ways of developing high pressure. Grease gun leaves a waxy, soap-like base when a fitting is not lubricated for an extended period of time. This soap thickener makes a grease a semi-solid. Common soaps include lithium stearate, calcium stearate, and sodium stearate.
High pressures are able to break the screen and causing a high-pressure injection injury. Hands or fingers face this injection injury generally. It occurs when a hose ruptures. Some lubrication applications require needle-type accessories. If they are not used properly, then they can lead to an injury. If you got an injection injury, you should seek medical attention immediately though the injury is painless at that time. The lubricant needs to be removed from your body to prevent infection. Provide your doctor as much as information you can such as the oil or grease you’re involved.
You can Safety features and precautions to minimize the risk. You need to use the right tool for the right job. Never change the configuration of the gun for any purposes other than that which it was intended. You should have to use only the hoses that are specified by the grease gun manufacturers.
The situation can become hazardous very quickly if your hose is rated only 1,500 psi and your grease gun is rated at 10,000 psi. Before every use, you should check the coupler and the grease gun. Don’t use it if there are any wear or damage discovered. When you’re priming and loading the grease gun, always aim the grease coupler away from your body.
You should always read and follow the instructions of the manufacturer before using your gun. The kinking hose can weaken them and make them more susceptible to ruptures. So, avoid kinking hoses. Before connecting, you should wipe grease gun fittings and the coupler clean to prevent contamination.
All repairs of your gun should be done by a qualified repairman. After every use, wash it properly and avoid placing them on dirty surfaces.
Proper Training: You should have to be trained properly for effective lubrication. You should have knowledge about the general rules of lubrication.
User Safety: While you’re going to use it, wear protective equipment including gloves, safety glasses and shoes to prevent injury. Don’t wear clothes that could become caught in moving parts. If you’re using a gun when you are inattention, it can result is a serious injury. So, when you’re tired or impaired by alcohol, stop using the gun.
Work Place Safety: You should work in an area that is well lit and clean. Don’t use a gun in dark or cluttered places. Catwalks, oil or grease can cause serious falls and fire hazards. Use power tool in a place that is free of flammable liquids, dust or greases. If the cord or power tool is damaged. It can cause serious damage and increase the risks of serious damage. You should not expose power tools to rain or water conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: What is a grease gun?
Ans: It is a regular workshop equipment that is used to apply lubricants.
Ques: Can you use bulk grease gun cartridge?
Ans: It depends on the gun type that you’re using.
Ques: Which is the best grease gun type?
Ans: The best type depends on the type of work. If you’re an experienced user and need a powerful one, the air-powered type is ideal. If you’re after portability, then the cordless type is better.
Ques: What Powers the grease gun?
Ans: Grease gun can be powered in 3 ways-by hands, electricity or air.
Ques: What’s the best lubricant to use with grease guns?
Ans: Grease will be the best lubricant to use with it.
Ques: What type of hose should I use?
Ans: Flexible and fixed hose are the two major types of hose. Hose type depends on the kind of grease fitting the machine you’re lubricating.
Ques: What is the hydraulic coupler?
Ans: Hydraulic coupler is also known as the connector. This point links the fixed tube or hose onto the grease gun’s head.
Ques: Where to buy a grease gun?
Ans: You can buy one from any tools shop. Go to your beares tool shop and buy the grease gun after checking properly. It’s the most excellent option. But if you don’t have that much energy and time, then you can check grease gun on Amazon. To find the best one, read the product reviews carefully and also read the customer reviews.
Ques: Is a grease gun dangerous?
Ans: Yes, a grease gun can be very dangerous if you don’t use it properly. It can occur serious injuries in factories, workshops and garages. You can prevent serious injury with safety attachment and proper concentration. You will find a lot of safety attachment available in the market. Make sure you have all of that attachment.
Ques: How should I store it?
Ans: Store your gun’s cartridge tubes upright all the time. Wipe it clean with a piece of cloth to eradicate impurities. Then, store your gun horizontally in a dry, clean and cool place.
Ques: Does a grease gun cost a lot?
Ans: Actually no. Grease gun price is quite reasonable. The price varies from brand to brand. But you can surely get the best one in your budget.
So that’s it! We hope you enjoyed, and of course, found our review & guide very helpful. Identify your needs, set a budget and furthermore dive into a little research before purchasing anything at all. If you need anything else to know about grease gun, please don’t hesitate to comment below.
You may like to have a look at our best winch review. So, that’s the end of our best grease gun review. Until next time. Adios!