A workbench is a table used by woodworkers to hold their workpieces while working. It holds the workpieces in a comfortable position and height. It is the paradise for every single woodworker.
Woodworking benches have many different types. But they can be basically classified into three types: Portable workstation, Cabinetmaker’s bench and utility bench.
If you’re planning to get one for yourself, consider the important features and pick one that would fit your job most.
But if you want to get creative one, then make your own workbench. After all, you’re a woodworker!
Here is my guide to help you in building your own woodworking workbench which is very simple and cost-effective.
I have been in the business for years and lots of people have benefited from my simple but effective woodworking workbench plans. My guidelines are free for anyone who wants to use them.
If you want to buy a new workbench, then you can read our reviews of Best Workbenches.
Step by Step Workbench Building Process
- Firstly, build the base. Combine all the stretchers and legs and use a drill to fasten the bolts and the base together. Make sure that the width of the legs from one outer edge to the other is no more than 16-1/2 inches. You will need to use the base to make the top of the bench.
- Secondly, assemble the top of the workbench. Attach each wooden board with glue and screw, but keep some gap to attach the small legs. Use the drill machine to make the holes. The top part is finished!
- Now, drill a hole at the end of the four short stretchers but do not worry too much about the placement. Make a mark on the lower stretcher which will join with the leg. To prevent any splitting, drill the screw holes close to the hole beforehand.
- For the final assembling of all the parts loosen the screws and the bolts on the lower part of the stretcher to connect them with the legs of the workbench. Combine the leg posts with the upper notch and use a hammer to put it in its place. Continue until all the leg posts are fixed tightly to the top of the table.
- Again use the screwdriver to tighten the lower stretchers. If you want to make it look more shiny and nice, use the classic oil plus wax finishing. Make sure that you use a vinyl glove. Keep it wet, not dry for around 10 minutes and repeat the procedure again.
Your project is now finished but you can apply the coating again for a few more days.
You may check this best wood lathes buying guide if you ever plan to buy one.
Story Of My Workbench
I remember that around 12 years ago, I started building my first woodworking workbench. I tried to look for instructions on the internet, but I did not come across any good quality woodworking workbench plans. Out of frustration, I decided to make my own plans for making the woodworker’s workbench.
It was difficult for me at first since I had limited financial resources and I did not have enough budget to buy new furniture. I was very lucky that the new house I moved in left behind a wooden stage. It was no more than a few pieces of wood attached together.
All I did back then was to open the screws and take out the wood pieces. It was nothing very fancy but I made my first workbench with the available materials! To make a shelf, I used a few pieces of plywood. There is one thing you should know, it broke down after a few days.
That was my first workbench. If you want to make a better quality workbench then you will good quality woodworking workbench plan. Don’t worry, this is why you came here, right? My method will cost around $50 and take you no more than 3 hours.
You will need good quality wood which is found in any lumber yard. If your budget is low, you can go for cheaper quality as well. The base should be made up of 4 short and long stretchers and four legs. The length of the leg should be around 2 feet, but the short legs not more than 2 feet. The long legs should not be more than 3 feet. You will also need around 1 kg of screws with dimensions of three inches. For the final part, do not forget to buy also 16 carriage bolts, nuts, washers, and some lag screws.
Use at least 15 pieces of wooden boards with a length of 5 feet. Also, use a good lighting system for better vision.
You will also need tools like a circular saw, wrench, hacksaw, tape measure, glue, hammer, a wrench which can be modified, clamps and a corded or cordless drill. I recommend that you also use another workbench, but it is up to you to decide. Also, wear safety gloves and goggles.
You should remember that a woodworker’s workbench holds everything which you will need to do your work. When I design a workbench, I always make sure that it will not move during my work. It is very distracting and unsafe if it happens.
I hope now you can make your own woodworking workbench. Please, do share this article if you’ve liked it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: Why Workbenches have holes?
Ans: These holes help woodworkers to hold their tools while working. These holes are also called dog holes.
Ques: Which tools are needed to build a workbench?
Ans: Circular saw, drill, hammer, measuring tape, screwdriver, pencil, nails, clamps, wood glue, nuts, screws, and corner square.
You can also read our guide on how to choose a tool bag.