You may have faced the situation where your vehicle got stuck in a muddy path or a snow trail during a trip. It is an embarrassing moment for you.
Imagine you are stuck with your vehicle, you called an emergency number and a tow truck with a winch came to your rescue. They saved you at that time.
Did it ever come across your mind what would have happened if your mobile’s battery was dead? or, You were in a very remote area, there was no mobile network and you couldn’t call the emergency number?
It is quite simple, your vehicle would have been stuck for a long time. If such a situation ever occurred to you again, don’t you think that you should bring your own winch and other recovery gear next time you go on such a trip? We’re sure that you will agree with us here. If you don’t have a winch, then you can read our winch review to find the best one.
You can also check Winch Mania to find the perfect winch that fits your needs most. They reviews top quality winches from a highly trusted brand such as X-Bull, Smittybilt, Mile Marker, Warn etc.
Using a Winch [Step by Step Guide]
If you look at the internet then you will come across thousands of ebooks, tutorials, and blogs which talk about how to use a winch properly. What most of them fail to mention is that most of the winching accidents occur due to the ignorance of the user. They may know the basics but fail to implement them at the right time.
This is where our guide can help beginners like you. A graduate with a degree in Electrical Engineering does not mean that he knows how to repair electrical devices. Every fresh graduate needs some guidelines or training before they can start practical work.
Similarly, owning a winch does not mean that you can use it without any training. Winching can be very dangerous if the proper instructions and precautions are not followed. It can damage the winching equipment as well.
We have compiled all our winching tips and hints below on the proper methods of using a winch safely. If you don’t know these then you won’t be able to use a winch even if you have a premium winch. So, let’s go there and have a look!
The Primary Steps
- First, put on your gloves. It can save your hands!
- Fasten the remote of the winch to the pole.`
- Loosen the clutch to bring out the wire to your preferred angle.
- For long poles, 90-degree angle with the vehicle is recommended.
- To free your vehicle, it is very important to choose the correct anchor point. If there is a tree nearby, you can use it as an anchor.
- Other vehicles can also be used as well as tires or logs buried underneath the surface.
- Now disengage the clutch and bring the winch line as close as possible to the anchor point. Be wary of any natural obstacles like rocks or other parts of Mother Nature which can get stuck with the rope.
- Use a chain to wrap around the anchor at the lower part. Do not tighten it too much because you will never get your job done this way.
- Now, re-engage the clutch to the winch and slowly wind it back until you experience some tension.
- Tell everyone around you to go back as far as possible to avoid any untoward incidents.
The Final Steps
If you have come across this far, your work is 90% done. Have patience for a few minutes and your vehicle will be out in no time!
We recommend that you tell one of your friends to enter the vehicle and start the engine. If it is not possible then skip this step.
- Turn on the remote control and start to pull the cable back toward the winch.
- Continue until the vehicle is above a smooth surface.
- If you see by now that the vehicle can move on its own, turn off the remote.
- Apply the emergency brake of the vehicle (if there is a driver in the vehicle) and bring the cable back by using a bit of tension.
- Make sure that the cable line does not get entangled with anything.
Congratulations, now you are ready to continue your journey! Before going on your next adventure, make sure that you follow all the steps mentioned in the guide to stay safe. You can also watch some videos on Youtube to know more about winching safety.
If you still have any question about this topic, then inform us via the comment box. You can also share this article so that your friends can also read this.